Named after the massive Chittorgarh Fort, the city of Chittorgarh is a popular tourist destination in Rajasthan. Seated on the bank of Berach River, Chittorgarh is also the district headquarters of the same name and it once served as the capital of the Sisodia Clan of Rajputs of Mewar.
The major attraction of the city is inarguably Chittorgarh Fort, which is considered the largest fort complex in India with a total area of 700 acres. It was first built in the 7th Century AD by the Maurayans and then was later ruled by the Rajputs and Mughals.
In Chittorgarh Fort, the biggest Rajput Festival, Jauhar Mela is held annually on the anniversary of one of the jauhars (self-immolation of the women of Chittorgarh during three invasions in the fort). The festival commemorates the bravery of Rajput ancestors and all three jauhars. The descendants of the princely families hold a procession to celebrate the festival in Chittorgarh. Other than Jauhar Mela, Chittorgarh also celebrates festivals like Maharana Pratap Jayanti, Meera Mahotsav, Teej, Gangaur, Rang Teras – The Tribal Fair.
Ranthambore Best SellersView All
9 Nights - 10 Days
Frequently Asked Questions About Chittorgarh
Q. What are the popular places to see in Chittorgarh?
The historically rich city is known for Chittorgarh Fort, the largest fort complex in India. The fort includes several temples like Meera Bai Temple and Kalika Temple and victory memoirs like Vijay Stambh are some of the popular places to visit in Chittorgarh.
Q. When is the best time to visit Chittorgarh?
The best time to visit Chittorgarh is the winter time between November and February. During this time, the temperature is low. Summers in Chittorgarh are extremely hot and humid with temperatures in May and June going up to 48℃. Monsoon season is also a good time to plan a trip to Chittorgarh when the temperature drops a bit low.
- Summer Season: Like many destinations in Rajasthan, Chittorgarh experiences extremely hot weather in the summer season. The mercury rises up to 48℃, making it inconvenient for day sightseeing.
- Monsoon Season: There is a temperature drop in the monsoon season in Chittorgarh. One can expect around 35℃ in the monsoons although the humidity increases. However, visitors can plan their trip in this season between July and September.
- Winter Season: The months between November and February are ideal to visit Chittorgarh due to the pleasant weather. The temperature remains between 15℃ and 25℃, making it quite comfortable for a sightseeing tour.
Q. How to Reach Chittorgarh by Road, Train & Air?
Chittorgarh has its own railway station making it convenient and also the best way to reach from the major cities in Rajasthan and India as well.
- By Air: Udaipur has the nearest domestic airport to Chittorgarh which is situated some 119 km away. The nearest international airport to Chittorgarh is in Jaipur, which is 361 km away. One can get a cab or a bus for Chittorgarh from Udaipur and Jaipur.
- By Rail: Chittorgarh has its own railway station, which is connected to almost all the major cities in India. Therefore, railway is the best way to reach Chittorgarh.
- By Road: NH8, NH11, NH76, NH79, and NH89 connect Chittorgarh to many destinations in India like Delhi, Agra, Udaipur, Jaipur, and Bikaner. State Highway 61 connects it to Jodhpur in Rajasthan. There is a bus station in Chittorgarh where buses ply from many parts of the state.
Q. What are the accommodation options in Chittorgarh?
Being home to the largest fort complex in India, Chittorgarh gets a lot of tourist attention. Thus, it has a large number of staying options for the visitors. There are hotels ranging from budget to deluxe category to guesthouses that promise comfortable stay to the guests.